Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Admitting you have a problem is the first step...

I'm going to say something I don't often say. In fact, McHubby could probably vouch for me that he's only heard what I'm about to say... maybe once or twice in the 15 years we've known each other.


*deep breath* I... need help.


Back in the day, back when McHubby and I were living in sin occasional roommates, (thanks to Mama B for the awesome phrase I plan to steal use over and over) we were both working. Money was and will always be an issue, but as far as groceries were concerned... it wasn't one we were too worried about at the time. (Cant buy me love, and all that crap sentiment, right?) Before that, I was living on my own, Pre-Munchkin, working a SWEET paying job, and practicing the old Binge and Purge, so again... groceries were NOT a priority.



In 24 days, I'm getting married (what? you didn't know?? What rock have YOU been living under?? It's called an archive... check it out :P) McHubby and I have already talked about it, and you know what I'll be doing in 25 days? (Yeah yeah, get your minds out of the gutter!! That too, but Sexy Time is NOT where this post is going) In 25 days, I'll be hitting the grocery store. Buying and planning meals for the boys, McHubby and I.



I'm a little freaked out by it!! I want to get the best bang for our poop buck. I want to have GREAT meals that fill their tummies with loving goodness, but... I don't want to go broke while doing it. Missy over at Are you there God - it's me, did a post today on the stuff she bought, and how much she saved doing it. It's All Free Online has a great contest going for a coupon organizer. Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom has some awesome suggestions on meatless meals (great for me as a the only vegetarian in the family. Ugh! compromise.) and how they save you money but... Its all floating around out there. How do I capture it and make it work for my family?


I've never used a coupon in my life. I don't know how it works... is it just one per product? or one per whole grocery bill? Here in the frosty white north, twice a week, someone drops a bunch of flyer's at my house, and my parents go through it to see where the best deals are to buy groceries. Do they have the same kind of thing in the states? In VA?



Here we have "degrees" of grocery stores. There's the cheap cheap one, then a middle one (or two) and then the high end grocery store. And some of them are chains found all across the country. Is it the same there? Are there good days to go? sale days?


I know people use coupon websites, but... where?how?


Obviously I should have some sort of menu idea before I hit the stores, but... should it be a week long menu? some people plan month long menu's? I have no idea....


I'm in WAY over my head here...


I figure if I can approach it the same way I approach ANY kind of shopping, I should be fine. My kids however... they may need to stay home for this one.

Please please please tell me your shopping secrets. How do you do it? Where do you shop? Where do you get your coupons? TEACH ME!!!! P-L-E-A-S-E??????????????

Munchkin was NOT impressed with the wait for me to finish shopping one afternoon, so he decided to make himself comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. I'm no help on the coupons...but I do my shopping while kids are at school. One thing that does help, because even though I have kids in school, I still have 2 at home! Having the walking kiddos help get things and put them in the cart is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete