Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Basics

Relationships can be very tricky. Add to that geographical distance and they can become near impossible Many people look at long distance relationships and wonder is this something I can do? Is it worth it? What will happen? No one can answer that except you and your partner.

Long distance relationships (LDR's) are not for everyone. It takes a degree of trust and honesty that may be hard for some. Distance can often make or break a relationship.

One month ago, my relationship with my partner changed. We went from living together, from spending every spare second together, to living hundreds of miles apart. (945.8 miles to be exact). It's not ideal, there are days when its so hard it feels like we can hardly breath. BUT every time it feels as if its too much to handle, we talk to each other. We let each other know how we feel. And above all else, we think about what our lives would be like without each other, and those moments of doubt are washed away.

I'm the first to admit that our relationship is unique. More then unique. We fell in love more then a decade ago, but both knew the timing wasn't right. We said goodbye, and we lived out lives apart. Circumstances, fate, serendipity... whatever you want to call it... brought us back together and this time, we've decided that nothing is going to keep us apart.

I'm not an expert in love. In fact I've probably had the worst luck when it comes to love. To quote Freddie Mercury
"I've paid my dues
time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes,
I've made a few.
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face,
But I've come through"
But I've learned from those mistakes, and hope that by sharing our story, you'll learn something too. What you'll find in this blog isn't an exact science. You'll find things that work for us. Things that help us get past the hard days. These may work for you, they may not work for you. If they work... Great! If you have ideas of your own, I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment