Friday, November 13, 2009

13th curse?

I don't believe in bad luck. I believe in Karma, and I believe in signs... but not bad luck.

So, when I got this letter this AM I didn't panic, nor did I chalk it up to Friday the 13th.

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am the lawyer for Credit Bureau of Canada Collections acting on behalf of TELUS MOBILITY to whom you are indebted in the amount of $645.41.

If this matter is not dealt with as set forth herein we may commence legal action against you.

You may avoid a lawsuit by making payment within 7 business days from the date of this letter. Payment should be made payable to Credit Bureau of Canada Collections by cheque or money order and sent to the address noted below. If your payment is not received proceedings may be commenced without further notice.

If an action is commenced and a Judgement is obtained, you may be subject to enforcement proceedings including garnishment of wages. As well, in addition to the amounts now owing you may required to reimburse out client for its court costs, legal fees, and pre and post judgement interest.

Litigation is expensive and may significantly affect your credit history. Our client is willing to resolve this matter without resort to litigation on the basis of an out of court lump sum settlement of $442.77 paid in the time period and manner stated above. Alternatively, we will accept 4 equal monthly installments of $161.35 on the balance to avoid any further action.

Call this number.......................... and avoid the cost of litigation.

Trusting you will find the above satisfactory.

Yours truly,

Jerky McLawyer.

So at this point a couple things come to mind. The first being that I haven't owned a telus phone for 3 years. Are they that hard up for money that 3 years later they've invented a reason to get some from me? A little digging shows that Telus owns Kodoo... THEM I owe.

I'm not a bill jumper, or one of those people you have to track down for money. I know this letter would seem otherwise, but I'm not. I pay my bills on time. When I have money. I don't use this phone anymore. I stopped using it when I quit my job because I knew that I couldn't afford it. AND as I've told Jack, the collections guy who's called my house twice a week since Feb. I would pay it if I could but... I can't. I get $300 a month from the government of Ontario for Munchkin.

$300.00 and with that, I buy dog food, dog meds, hamster food, hamster supplies, munchkin food, munchkin meds. Clothes as needed (which has meant 4 pairs of shoes for Munchkin since Sept because he wears them through till his toes poke out) Now is winter, so add snow pants, boots, any school activities, that are averaging out to about $50 a month, and the O-C-C-A-S-I-O-N-A-L treat when Munchkin has been a good kid, and then that money is G-O-N-E. I'm very lucky to be able to stay with my parents at the moment. If it weren't for them, I would be screwed. On my dresser is $5.60, and the $20 that Hayden just got in a card from McHubby.

I'm not here to say poor me. Not at all. But I AM trying to make the point that things are tight, and this Telus bill... not on my priority list.

So... what do I do with this letter? I decide to respond to Jerky McLawyer. But not before doing a little more research on TELUS, the company so hard up for my money.

Here's what I emailed back.

Mr McLawyer,

I received your letter this AM in regards to Docket# XXXXXXX, Acct #XXXXXXX, monies owed to Telus Mobility (through Kodoo Mobile, I assume)

I appreciate your clients willingness and generosity in offering me a chance at an out of court settlement for a significantly less lump sum. It is more then fair on their part. However it is with great regret that I inform you that this amount is also not within a payment option for me.

Being a single mom who has not worked since February, and is not receiving any type of social assistance or income, as you can imagine my credit history has already been significantly affected (as your letter indicates your client would damage your client would do when charging me their court costs, legal fees and pre and post judgment interest). I have already had to release my families apartment, have sold the family car in March and have been left with nothing in the form of assets. $442.77 is more then ALL the money I would see within a month, and having no medical insurance, and a young child, I cannot give your client what little I DO have and then not be able to provide for my child. I think that is something even your client would not want to have happen. Even the alternate payment of 161.35 would take more then half of the money I have in a month.

Telus Mobility is western Canada's most successful company and reported 3rd quarter 2009 net income of $280 million dollars. Which means that the generous offer they extended to me would pass through their A/r & A/P accounts 632,382.5 times in their third quarter. Not even their end of year. So, although I appreciate their generosity, the 1/632,382.5th of their net income would leave me with no money to support my son, purchase groceries, afford school activities, or even clothes or shelter for him. Unfortunately, it is just not something that is feasible, or even imaginable with my situation. I apologize for this loss for your client, and understand the difficult position they and you are in, however I just do not have the money to pay this bill. If I had, I would have made payment long before now, and would not have let it get to this point.

I am open to other suggestions you, or Telus may have to get this bill taken care of with out detriment to me or my son.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sharon Elliott.


Check Spelling
So, with that done, I went about the rest of my day. Until Fed Ex showed up with my engagement ring that McHubby has spent 3 months trying to get fixed by the store where he bought it, and a bill for shipping on TOP of what he paid to ship it for $133.XX!!! (which I didnt have laying around, so it's gone to package purgitory)

So... I dont believe in bad luck, but today is messing with my karma mojo!

6 comments:

  1. EEK! Go grab some good luck charms and stay inside, LOL. My birthday is the 13th of Dec, which occasionally lands on a Friday, but I choose to see it as good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks. I'm sorry to hear that. : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I have no clue! I would hide under the covers and tell my hubs to handle it. That probably doesn't help you does it?! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon...
    I had to laugh about this one. I was born on Friday the 13th, so it's been my good luck number as well!

    Sorry to contact you in this way, but I couldn't find your email address. I wanted to thank you for entering my first ever giveaway on giveaways 4 mommy [and for your sweet comment]! Unfortunately you were not the winner of the holiday cards. :(

    Good news is, that if you do decide to place an order on or before this Wednesday November 18th, you will receive 140 free coordinating return address labels for entering the giveaway. :)

    Thanks again - if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Have a great Sunday!!
    Stephanie
    www.graphici.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in my early 20s I had a lot of difficulty managing my finances. Hence it provided me with a great understanding of the world of collections.

    First, they always threaten legal action. But they never go through with it. Unless you have significant assets and unless the debt itself is significant. There's a reason for this that is quite simple. They are not going to pay a lawyer to go to court to try to get money from someone who does not have enough to pay the bill in the first place. It doesn't work and they know it. But the threat, in some cases, does.

    Second, the way a collection company makes money is by keeping a percentage of the amount of money that you owe to the creditor (usually between 20-30%) when or if you eventually do make payment. Hence, if you owe $5000 the collectors usually get $1000 with the rest going back to the company. This can also work in a slightly different way where the collection company purchases your debt at a serious discount and tries to get you to pay up. Regardless of who owns the debt, the resulting benefit to the debtor is still the same.

    The key takeaway here is that once you've been passed off to collections the original company has already written you off. This carries with it an important but oft unknown benefit to the debtor - bargaining power.

    First, collection companies want to deal with your debt in as little time as possible. As continued contact costs time and money.

    Second, they are almost always willing to accept vastly lower amounts as restitution for your outstanding balance. Remember, they are making money no matter what. It's not their money that is outstanding.

    Here's a logical layout of your options:

    IF you care about your credit rating and have the ability to pay something: OFFER 1/3 of what you owe as a one time payment. They may come back with a counteroffer but in every case it's always lower than the total amount.

    IF you don't care about your credit rating: Ignore them, permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and Graphic.blogspot, talk about a tactless comment.

    ReplyDelete